New PICMG 2.30 Standard Names 3M™ Ultra Hard Metric (UHM) Socket Connector as the High-Speed J2 Connector
3M connector enables speeds greater than 7 Gbps in legacy systems
AUSTIN, Texas – Jan. 26, 2010 – The PCI Industrial Computer Manufacturers Group (PICMG) recently ratified the new PICMG 2.30 CompactPCI Plus IO standard, specifying the fully shielded Ultra Hard Metric (UHM) Socket Connector from 3M as the high-speed J2 connector.
The new PICMG 2.30 specification adds PCI Express, Ethernet, SATA, SAS and USB extensions to the CompactPCI family of specifications while preserving PCI bus connectivity and backward compatibility. The specification defines the use of previously reserved rear I/O pins for the 32-bit CompactPCI system slot with new high-speed serial signals to preserve interoperability with existing CompactPCI standards.
The UHM socket connector from 3M, in its J2 configuration, was specified for the new standard due to its signal transmission quality and backward compatibility. The UHM socket connector allows end users of CompactPCI equipment to leverage their existing investment in PCI bus cards while using the same system for newer, high-speed serial data applications.
The “virtual coaxial box" shielding technology from 3M dramatically reduces the severe crosstalk commonly experienced by 2 mm hard-metric connectors at 1 to 1.5 Gbps speeds, enabling the UHM socket connectors from 3M to achieve speeds greater than 7 Gbps. The 3M UHM socket connector is designed to mate with industry-standard and widely available 2 mm hard-metric header connectors (IEC 61076-4-101).
The UHM socket connector is available in 5-row (A, B, CL, CR, AB) and 8-row (D, E, DE, FL, FR) form factors allowing a very high signal density – 101 signals per linear inch for the 8-row and 63 signals per linear inch for the 5-row.
Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory (RAND) licensing for claims in 3M’s patents and patent applications that are necessary to implement the new PICMG 2.30 Compact PCI PlusIO standard is available immediately. A copy of the license may be obtained under a Confidential Disclosure Agreement from the 3M Electronic Solutions Division by calling 512-984-6399.
Features and Benefits:
- High-speed socket connector - more than 7 Gbps even when used with standard unshielded HM headers
- Full shielding of signals or signal pairs minimizes crosstalk and insertion loss
- 2 mm pitch offers intermateability and PCB footprint compatibility with standard HM designs
- High signal density - 101 signals per linear inch for the 8-row and 63 signals per linear inch for the 5-row – optimizes PCB space
- Unique dual beam contact design for high reliability
Target Markets & Applications:
- Embedded Systems: Compact PCI 3U and 6U Computing Systems,
- Communications: Access equipment, e.g., ChannelBanks, Wireless
- Industrial and Factory Automation: Process Control, Transportation Systems
- Medical: Test & Measurement – e.g., PXI systems
- Military: Embedded computing platform
3M UHM Connector Product Bulletin (.pdf) for more product information, specifications, applications and ordering information.
UHM Socket Connector