Alpha Wire’s Photovoltaic Wire and Solar Cables Form Core of New Market-Specific Solution Set
Solar applications demand wire and cable with maximum reliability and flexibility to prevent costly downtime and disruption to the energy grid. That’s why solar engineers and plant managers will want to know about Alpha products specifically targeted to the solar industry.
Alpha Wire’s new solar cables and photovoltaic wire are designed for the harsh environments of solar energy applications—the hot and cold of climate extremes, ozone and UV radiation, moisture, oil, and direct burial. The cables use a specially formulated PVC jacket to provide years of reliable service by withstanding the potential environments without failing or degrading.
Photovoltaic Wire - Available in a wire range from 14 AWG to 2 AWG, the photovoltaic wires come in two versions to meet either UL 4703 PV wire/TÜV 2 PFG 1169 requirements or UL 4703 PV wire requirements. UL /TÜV photovoltaic wires are made with low-smoke, zero-halogen (LSZH) materials which do not emit toxic gases when burned. The UL PV wire products use a cross-linked polyethylene insulation and PVC jacket.
Solar Cables - Solar cables, in sizes from 18 AWG to 12 AWG and conductor counts from 3 to 9, are available shielded or unshielded. The TC-ER and MTW-rated cables feature a tough and abrasion-resistant jacket to provide robust performance for years. Designed specifically for solar inverters and similar applications, the solar cables are a perfect choice for any solar farm.
Both the PV wire and solar cable are designed specifically for solar environments—they are sunlight and oil resistant and withstand temperatures as low as -40°C and high as +90°C. In addition, the solar cables meet requirements for direct burial without conduit.
Part of a Market-Specific Solution Set - The new wire and cable form the core of Alpha’s portfolio of products for solar energy. The portfolio also includes a number of existing products well suited to solar applications:
- Series M and P control cables, ideal for stationary tray application with light to moderate flexing, are available in conductor counts up to 65 and wire sizes from 18 AWG to 8 AWG.
- Type 492 slit loom tubing protects cable, simplifying its installation. A full-length slit allows the tubing to be slid over cable for easier breakouts and flexible routing.
- Liquid-tight flexible PVC tubing and fittings keep cables safe, dry, and protected.
- Solid bus bar wires, in sizes from 12 AWG to 6 AWG, meet the requirements of NEC 705.2 for panel grounding.
- FIT® heat-shrink tubing makes it easy to protect, organize, strain-relieve, and repair cables—with a range of shrink ratios and materials for any application environment.
The solar market is growing rapidly. Our new solar solution set positions you to profitably tap it.
Selecting Wire and Cable for Solar Applications (.pdf) - introduction to solar, cable requirements and standards for solar power cable.
Alpha Wire's Solar Brochure (.pdf) for more product information, specifications, applications and ordering information.