Molex iPass+™ High Density Active Optical Cables
Molex unveils new iPass+ High Density Active Optical Cables, which are designed for large-scale enterprise and data center storage systems. The iPass+ HD AOCs support next-generation SAS 3.0 signaling requirements and reach up to 100m with low-power consumption while reducing cable-management challenges.
Molex’s iPass+ HD AOCs offer reduced cable bulk, improved cable management and long reach, providing system designers
increased flexibility when designing, configuring and deploying next-generation equipment.
Data rates up to 48 Gbps are achieved with four lanes each operating at 12 Gbps. Molex’s iPass+ High Density (HD) system is referenced as mini-SAS HD in the SAS 3.0 and SAS 2.1 standards.
The reduced size of the iPass+ HD system provides additional board space for
system designers to implement more I/O ports. The iPass+ HD system enables
four, 4x ports on a low profile PCIe card, doubling the port density on a low-
profile PCIe card and for host systems. The small diameter optical cable used
with the new AOC provides an additional benefit, as they are much easier to
route through the cable management system.
Features and benefits include:
- Compliant to SAS 3.0 and SAS 2.1 (optical) up to 100 meters in length, which enables storage companies to deploy larger systems and also for customers to scale up with added storage up to 100 meters from the controller.
- Small 3.00mm cable outer diameter that decreases cable management and routing challenges by reducing bulk cable size compared to copper cable and increasing flexibility.
- Highest-density AOC design, nearly double the density of current QSFP+ AOCs, which enables higher density port design and data rates up to 48 Gbps.
- Targeted low power consumption of 0.9W per cable end that improves overall data-center power consumption and thermal efficiency.
- Cables available in standard lengths up to 100m that significantly increases reach distances over copper cables for SAS implementations and enables larger scale multi-rack designs.
- Meets SAS-3 high-density parameters that provide nearly double the density of QSFP+ ports.
- Cable is compliant with SAS-3 (12 Gbps) (systems with optical-mode capability), InfiniBand (10 Gbps), Ethernet (10 Gbps) and other protocols, which meets next-generation as well as many existing industry standards.
- Cable is backward compatible with 6 Gbps SAS-2.1 optical-mode capable systems (not SAS 2.0), which allows customers to use cables in legacy systems that support SAS-2.1 optical mode implementation.