MediSpec™ MID/LDS Capabilities
Molex combines advanced MID technology with LDS antenna expertise to deliver integrated fine-pitch 3D circuitry with shielding in a single molded device for high-density medical devices and other applications
Molex has developed an innovative Molded Interconnect Device/Laser Direct Structuring (MID/LDS) capability under MediSpec™ that will allow medical device designers to integrate highly complex electrical and mechanical features into highly compact applications which existing flat 2D technologies cannot accomplish.
This capability combines the versatility of the two-shot molding process for MID, with the speed and precision of Laser Direct Structuring (LDS) technology to create compact, high-density medical applications that meet required medical-grade, electronic device guidelines. LDS allows micro-line electronic circuitry to be imaged onto a variety of RoHS-compliant molded plastics using a 3-axis laser with the added flexibility of making pattern changes. Lines and spaces down to 0.10 mm (0.004") and circuitry pitch down to 0.35mm (0.014") are possible in high-volume. A host of other multi-function features including laser-drill via holes, switch pads, sensors, or even antennas, can be added if needed.
The power of MID/LDS technology continues to grow in popularity as a means to address miniaturization, convergence and well-being enhancement trends in the medical industry. Molex has a full spectrum of MID reliability test facilities and support services to ensure the customer's product quality, reliability and mission-critical needs are met.
Features and Benefits:
- 3D MID
- A versatile, multi-function technology with benefits of scalability
- Two methods of plating on plastic material achievable; 2-shot molding process and Laser Directed Structuring (LDS)
- Numerous plating and material configuration options available
- Versatile design features possible
- Creation of prototypes of injection-molded circuit carriers
- Reduces assembly, logistics, testing, development costs and shorter process chains
- Medical Applications
- Blood glucose meters
- Drug delivery systems
- Home healthcare telemetry
- Telehealth - remote patient monitoring systems
- Disposable catheter interfaces
- Neurostimulation controllers
- Pulse oximetry sensors
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices
- Integrated Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) solutions
- Other Markets
- Telecommunications antennas and portable devices
- Military vision systems and unmanned aerial vehicles
- Industrial and commercial lighting applications
MediSpec™ MID/LDS Capabilities for High-Density Medical and other Applications (.pdf) - for more product information, specifications, applications and ordering information.