For Immediate Release
Molex Expands Product Line to Offer Broadest Range of SFP Solutions for Networking and Data Communication Equipment Applications
Molex Incorporated is continuing to expand its SFP product line to create the market's broadest range of SFP products available. The company's SFP product family offers the SFP Ganged Cages, SFP Stacked Multi-Port Connectors and the SFP Pluggable Multi-Port Stacked Cage Assemblies to meet the industry's higher packaging density needs for a variety of networking and data communication equipment applications.
"As networking and data communications equipment increasingly requires higher bandwidth, our customers need to increase their system's packaging density to accommodate these changes," said Jay Neer, strategic product manager, Molex Incorporated. "Molex's SFP product family meets this demand, but also offers a wide selection of products to satisfy our customers' wide range of application needs."
The primary components of the Molex SFP product family include:
1) SFP Ganged Cages
Announced earlier this year, the multi-port SFP Ganged Cages are now available with a new lightpipe option that can be added after the cages are mounted to a PCB. They come in various configurations as separate "covers." The SFP Ganged Cages eliminate the need for multiple single cages, gain valuable PCB real estate in belly-to-belly configurations and occupy less beachfront. The 1-by-2, 1-by-4, 1-by-5 and 1-by-6 cages are also well suited for networking applications, such as switches and routers, as well as storage and data communication devices, including high-end servers.
The SFP Ganged Cages also:
- Offer a rugged metal cage design that is based on the Small Form Factor Multi Source Agreement (MSA)
- Incorporate a press-fit pin design for ease of use
- Feature a compliant elastomer 360° gasket and multiple ground pin locations for EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) containment
- Provide module versatility by accepting copper and optical SFP modules for Fibre Channel and Gigabit Ethernet applications
2) SFP Stacked Multi-Port Connectors with Lightpipes
The SFP 2-by-4 and 2-by-6 Stacked Multi-Port Connectors with Lightpipes are the latest addition to Molex's SFP product line. These medium-height stacked connectors provide two rows each of four or six belly-to-belly vertically stacked SFP ports and lightpipes. They offer complete integration of the connector with a cage, increased port density and reduced assembly labor. The lightpipe feature is compatible with SMT LEDs, providing the user with port-status indication and activity feedback. Applications include telecommunications equipment, networking devices and storage systems.
The SFP Stacked Multi-Port Connectors with Lightpipes also:
- Offer press-fit termination to the PCB, eliminating soldering and lowering the applied cost
- Support data transmission speeds up to 10 Gbps
- Feature metallic fingers to provide EMI protection between the assembly and the panel
- Accept SFP modules, allowing installers to configure and upgrade high-speed Ethernet and Fibre Channel ports
- Are consistent with the stacked multi-port modular jack design with a connector height of 25.5mm (1.004")
Non-lightpipes versions of the SFP Stacked Multi-Port Connectors are also available with industry-compatible footprints. Additionally, 2-by-1, 2-by-2 and 2-by-5 sizes are currently in development.
3) SFP Pluggable Multi-Port Stacked Cage Assemblies
The SFP Pluggable Multi-Port Stacked Cage Assemblies provide a simplified, one-piece solution to meet customer requirements for high-density SFP module spacing. Offered in both standard and customized assemblies to meet a customer's specific application, the SFP Pluggable Multi-Port Stacked Cage Assemblies are well suited for networking and storage applications, utilizing optical and copper adapters.
The standard version is a 2-by-4 configuration and can be easily modified to 2-by-2 through 2-by-6 configurations. They use Molex interconnect technology to support signal transfers up to 4.25 Gbps and feature an elastomeric gasket that reduces insertion force into the I/O panel, while ensuring a reliable EMI seal. Customized products include different configurations of SFP cages, along with the addition of power-filtering components on the spacer board, customized mechanical outlines and the options of pre-installed LEDs and lightpipes.
The SFP Pluggable Multi-Port Stacked Cage Assemblies also:
- Provide easy installation and are removable for repair or upgrade
- Support high-speed networking - performance was tested to 2.5 Gbps and 4.25 Gbps
- Include individual electrical and mechanical customization to optimize cost and performance
- Meet ATCA/AMC packaging standards
# # #