RoHS, lead-free legislation, "Directive 2002/95/EC on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment," was initially enforced throughout the European community beginning July 1, 2006.
Its aim was to remove a total of six substances from electrical and electronic equipment (EEE), thereby contributing to the protection of human health and the environment. Although RoHS is a European Union (EU) directive, manufacturers of EEE outside of Europe must also abide by this legislation if the equipment they produce is imported into an EU member state.
In an effort to support our customers and supplier base, Heilind has been committed to RoHS compliance since its inception in 2006. Pursuant to this effort, Heilind has remained current and seamlessly transitioned its distribution process to fully satisfy RoHS2 regulatory criteria as of the beginning of 2013.
Ongoing (RoHS2) Compliance
The deadline to formally transition from the original RoHS directive (2002/95/EC) to the RoHS2 "recast" (2011/65/EU) was officially Jan. 2, 2013. As this deadline approached, suppliers and customers alike questioned how implementation of the newly revised RoHS directive has affected the certified status of product historically verified as compliant prior to this update. The simple answer is (at the component level) product that met original RoHS criteria remains compliant under the new ‘recast’ directive. Supporting this statement is the fact that for individual components, neither the list of hazardous substances nor the limits associated with each identified substance has been altered from initial RoHS guidelines.
Distribution of RoHS2-compliant material remains one of the many services Heilind Electronics prides itself in providing its customers and continues to deliver product (now certified to the new RoHS2 directive) in appropriately labeled packaging.
In keeping with our service oriented philosophy, we continue to help our suppliers as well as our customers manage RoHS2- compliant material. Included in this process is:
- Supplier policies: Inform our customers of our manufacturer's RoHS2 policies as they continue to evolve.
- Part-specific information: Inform customers of part-number-specific compliance as this information becomes available from our suppliers.
- Inventory management: Provide assistance in managing the product pipeline regarding RoHS2-compliant inventory.
- Market demands: Keep our suppliers posted with market and specific customer needs, which will allow them to be more responsive.
- Education: Working closely with our supplier partners, Heilind will, to the best of our ability, provide our valued customers and employees with the most up-to-date RoHS2 related information available.